Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Discontent

I spent a large portion of my day feeling discontent. Discontent about my house, my husband, my life. About the half finished baseboards, about the tub that leaks when we shower, about the fact that we had no more butter in the fridge. Discontent about my kids who were behaving less than perfect, about my awful-couldn't-even-stand-straight-belly-ache (that one I don't feel bad about) and about someone eating the last of the cheese.

I hate discontent days. They suck. I try so hard to change my attitude, change my outlook, change my prayers. But today it seemed determined to stick. It sucks because even though I KNOW I have absolutely no reason to be discontent - especially when I compare my life and surroundings to so many other people - I just can't seem to snap out of it.

But...tomorrow is another day altogether. Tomorrow I will not allow myself to focus on all the things I wish were different and be happy about all the things that are right. Like my less than perfect kids who tell me they love me twenty times a day. Like my husband who came home early from work because I had such an awful stomach ache and let me rest. Like the fact that I have a home when so many people don't.

God's mercies are new each morning. I rely on this! I need to focus on stuff like this...
Hebrews 4:16
Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Hope tomorrow is full of being CONTENT!

EDIT: I just read THIS and I'm suddenly feeling extremely content about my life and my less than perfectly behaved kids...stupid me.

No comments:

Post a Comment