Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3rd, 2011

I wanted to document what we did over our Christmas break before I forgot...starting with Dec. 22rd be/c that was when Gabrielle finished school. She actually played hookey that day so she could come to Grammy's and bake cookies all day (in fact she didn't help at all so she basically just played hookey!)

So, here we go...

Wednesday, Dec. 22nd

All day baking party at Grammy's house with Great-Grandma (Nanny as the kids call her). I had to go to my client's house for a few hours to deal with some stuff, but here is what we made in the span of a day:

Shortbread
Ginger Snaps
White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Bark
Butter Pecan Brittle Bark
Spiced Nuts
Candied Pecans
Caramel Walnuts
Cheese Crisps

I think that is it...no wonder I feel like a tub of goo right now. I cannot stop eating the sweets! Later that afternoon we met some lovely ladies (Donna, Melissa, Paula, Mary-Ellen, etc.) at Milestone's in Market Mall for a Christmas drink and visit. Then ate dinner at Mom and Dad's.

Thursday, Dec. 23rd, 2010
I have no idea what we did this day...I think I had the kids at Grammy's for a bit so I could finish up some shopping. I hate shopping this close to Christmas. I vow every year to be done early.

Oh and we did our annual "Sleep under the Christmas Tree" this night too. I, of course, come up w/ some excuse as to why I can't sleep on the floor w/ them, but it was kind of legit this time. I had a bad shoulder and I don't think sleeing on the ground would have helped much. They loved it though. I think we did get a 2 am wake-up with Gabrielle tapping me on the shoulder saying "You said you'd sleep under the tree with us!" I think I'll have to do it next year! Crappy picture but at least I got one.


Friday, Dec. 24, 2010
I took the kids over to my Mom's early (after a trip to Northland Mall to see Santa...only to discover they weren't taking photos there this year. I asked a guy in the line up ahead of me w/ a nice camera to take a photo for me and send it to me! Thankfully he did...here is our Santa picture for 2010...)


Not the greatest year ever, but better than the camera on my phone!

After Santa, I dropped the kids at my Mom's so I could go home and get a few things organized and make the yummiest Meringue Chocolate Berry Trifle for dessert. The reason for dropping the kids at my Mom's was so Greg, my Dad and F-I-L could set up the Christmas present we all got the kids. This baby...


It was definitely a hit and the kids were super excited and spent hours on it. I thought up a little treasure hunt around the house for them to solve (riddles on each clue leading them to different rooms) in order to finally open the kitchen blinds and see the trampoline in the back yard.

Okay, back to the 24th. We went to a 1 pm service at Centre Street Church w/ the Jenkinsons, Kunz's, Nanny and our gang then back to my Mom's by 3 pm for appies and our annual tradition of Pescatore Pasta (Seafood Pasta). Yum! Then we did something different this year - we typically spend the rest of the evening playing the gag gift exchange game...where you steal crappy presents from each other until nothing more can be stolen. Well, it was getting so lame and the presents were so crappy that no one wanted to steal anything from anyone...so I suggested we play Bunco. A dice game that is too complicated to explain! I figured out how it works and we gave it a shot...it was super fun! I think it will be a yearly game on Christmas Eve.

Saturday, Dec.25th, 2010
The obvious things went down on this day: up at 6:15 am to open stockings (that is after a 2:30 am wake-up...Gabrielle stood beside my bed w/ her eyes as wide as saucers...I very sternly told her to get back to sleep!), called Mum and Dad & Nanny and they came over to open presents and have breakfast. They hung out for a bit then went home to relax. The Diamond girls came over and the 4 of them spent the afternoon on the trampoline.

After a bit of relaxing, snoozing and eating we went over to my in-laws for Christmas Dinner and were home (less 2 kids) by 8-ish.

Sunday, Dec.26th, 2010
Nothing! We did nothing! Kids played on the trampoline for hours (it was beautiful out) and Greg and I did a whole lot of nothingness. Dreamy.

Monday, Dec. 27th, 2010
We started potty-training Max this day. We figured we should start while Greg was home so one of us could always be home with him if the other needed/wanted to go out. I ventured out to Chinook Centre w/ my Grandma and my Mum. It was a nightmare. So busy it was insane. Poor Nanny can't walk that fast or that long, so we took lots of breaks and went slow but it pooped her out. She is nearly 89 after all! I got a few items returned and bought some boots I had my eye on and got a G.C. for from G.C. Hee hee! Max had absolutely no pee's in the potty but several in his pants and on the floor. We went to our neighbour's for Indian food for dinner and a visit. It was really nice...we live 2 doors down and hardly spend time together. Crazy.

Tuesday, Dec. 28th, 2010
I think more nothing-ness happened during the day...Gabrielle's friend Jhoanny came for a play date. She is one of my favorite friends...so polite. Then we went to the Zoo-Lights this night. I think...not exactly sure if it was this night or the next night. It was chilly and snowing, but it was fun. Day 3 of potty training. Still not one success but lots of accidents. Kids sleep over at Grammy's and Papa's.



Wednesday, Dec. 29th, 2010
Hmmm...don't really know what we did this day either. Organizing? Relaxing? No idea. Hopefuly it will come back to me. Kids stay at Grammy's until noon-ish. I sleep until 8:30 am which is insanely late for me but dreamy of course. On day 3 of potty training and not one success. Contemplate giving up.

Thursday, Dec. 30th, 2010
Day 4 of potty training (and more relaxing). Talk to my friend and she says it took her son 2 weeks. Seriously? 2 weeks of spot cleaning the carpet and washing underwear 4 x a day? Sigh. I phone my Mom and say he might not be ready. However, the kid does not want to wear diapers...he insists on underwear. That is a good sign. At about 4:30 pm he says "Mommy! Pee!" We run to the bathroom and he pee's in the potty! We hoot and holler and get super excited! He goes again in about a half hour. We phone the Grandma's and Daddy who is out w/ friends. Very exciting! So nice to see him getting it just once to know he has the concept. Gabrielle has a sleep over at Jacqueline's....another one of my favorite friends.

Friday, Dec. 31st, 2010
New Year's Eve day. Hang out at home, get some appies ready for the evening. Take the kids bowling at 4 pm w/ Mum and Dad. After bowling they come back here for appetizers and dessert and games on the Wii and a board game w/ Gabrielle after the 2littles are asleep. In bed by 10:30 pm! Watch the rest of Julie/Julia (3rd time be/c I keep falling asleep!). Here's a little snapshot of the troup. Who me? Oh no, I'm not there. Why would anyone include ME in the photos? I'm only the mother. Seriously, I should force it on my husband so my kids can see pictures of me with them one day.



Saturday, January 01, 2011New Year's Day. Relax at home. Gabrielle has a belly ache and cramping all day and then starts vomitting. Poor kid.

Lily celebrates in her own way...one might call it "Happy Nude Year!" She spent the entire day without clothes.



I go out later to a movie w/ Mum and Jane...Black Swan. What a disturbing movie! I wouldn't recommend it. In fact, I'd recommend NOT seeing it. It was psychotic and gave me bad dreams. Arrive home at 10:30pm and take Gabrielle to the Children's Hospital as she is not getting better and is inconsolable. Get there and discover there is a 4 hour wait. She isn't that sick is she? She puked in the car on the way there (we had a bucket thankfully!) but seems to be fine now. She asks for a popsicle because she sees other kids with one. I bribe her and say we can get one at 7-11 but we need to go home and she can lie in my bed and I'll tickle her head so she can fall asleep. It works thankfully. We finally go to bed at 11:30 pm but I have the worst sleep ever. Like that of a mother w/ a newborn baby. It was that awful and disrupted.

Sunday, January 02, 2011
I believe I covered this one...skiing. It was great. Then dinner at Grammy's and to bed early. I had a fantastic sleep this time.

Monday, January 03, 2011
There...up to speed. Memories of Christmas 2010 recorded. Probably long and boring should anyone besides me read it. But this blog is for me. To remember little bits of our daily life this year. Today was full of playing play-doh, laundry, tidying up, making snacks and lunches...regular mom stuff. They are bugging to make cookies now. More cookies! I hope I don't blog a year from now 30 pounds heavier from all the cookies! Must...stop...eating...cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment